I started developing the teachers-only training course How to Teach Exams course in 2014, after I had already created three self-study programs for TOEFL iBT (which are still quite popular in the online TOEFL student community)…
In 2017, there is only one session of the How to Teach Exams training, which starts on May 2nd. I have not decided when the next cohort will run, but it definitely won’t be until 2018.
Because of the level of personal attention that I give during the certification process, and to make the live group sessions have buzzing (but not overwhelming) energy, the size of this training is limited to 10 teachers. 5 teachers are already registered, and potentially a 6th. So… We’re getting close! The early bird gets the worm!
You can read the full explanation and the schedule (days and times, etc.) by clicking the green button at the end of the post. Below are answers to a couple questions that I got asked recently…
Question: Why should we train with you?
I believe online education is the future. And human teachers (like you!) will only become more highly-valued as e-learning grows.
I have spent the last 7 years helping TOEFL students get seemingly impossible scores. This is why students trust me and keep referring their friends, even many moons later.
I am the materials-writer whose best-selling program, Advanced Speaking Guide, was pirated by a member of the teaching community back in 2015. They say imitation is the best form of flattery and although he stopped copy-pasting my material, I am still his business plan. When I update, he updates.
I know that learning can only happen in optimal conditions. I explain how to identify those conditions in an exam context so that you aren’t teaching students with Teflon-coated brains.
I am the Exam Rage Whisperer. I am so committed that when the conditions for learning or wrong, I facilitate Strategy and Motivation Sessions that extricate twisted souls from the most painful wreckage of self-sabotage. (One student recently discovered the strength to confront a heap of trouble and embarrassment and asked his boss if he could change his work schedule — just so he could follow the lesson plan I was recommending.)
Question: How do I know I’m a good fit for How to Teach Exams?
- You have strong English. You don’t have to be a native-speaker teacher, though!
- You have an ESL certificate and the ability to explain grammar.
- You are motivated by students with clearly-articulated goals.
- You don’t have any chronic health issues that force you to make frequent, last-minute schedule changes. (This matters because exam students often face tight deadlines and they count on you to show up.)
- You tolerate low levels of stress from risk and ambiguity. (No one can guarantee that your student is going to get the exam score they want in their requested time frame. If one approach does not work, I will help you reassess the situation and find a new route.)
Question: What makes How to Teach Exams different from other trainings?
Oh there are so many ways! I started developing this training in 2014 and every time I lead it, I polish it more and more.
- Ongoing recorded, live Q&A sessions + lifetime access to material. I never got recordings of my sessions in my CELTA or Delta that I could review later. It makes a big difference in your ability to learn when you can log in any time and double-check something. Click here to see what the learning portal looks like.
- The “best of” my Mary Poppin’s-like bag of tricks. I have endless ideas for how to plan your lessons. I got my reputation for raising TOEFL students’ scores by being resourceful and creative when disaster struck. When one thing hasn’t worked, I revamped and tried another. I share the best of them with you.
- Inspiration for how to teach online. Because the entire training happens in friendly digital platforms, you are immersed in an online education experience that works. You also get to observe me teaching various lessons with learners. Many teachers use my foundation as inspiration and follow my way of doing things.
- Get on my radar. If you’re intrigued in any way by what I’m doing and want to join a very small circle of teachers who have regular access to me (for business development and joint venture opportunities) then this is the fastest way to get known.
- Personal attention from me. Through the certification process, I make sure that you’re doing the Score Analysis “the right way.” Especially when it comes to interpreting the speaking and writing responses that your students produce, this is critical (and is how you can be super confident about proposing effective lessons to students).
If you have any questions or concerns about whether or not you’re a good fit for this program, now is the time to ask! Get in touch and we can set up a meeting.
P.S. One of the reasons that I built such a strong reputation in the student community is because I’m selective about who I choose to give lessons to. I have the same standard about the teachers in How to Teach Exams. I have already turned away teachers who really aren’t able to benefit from the material. If we talk, you can be sure that I’m making sure that you have the prerequisites and characteristics that will allow you to thrive with by implementing the training.